Teachers and Classrooms
Hello. I want to welcome you to www.clevercrazes.com . My name is Dr. Carla C. Johnson Associate Professor of Science Education in the School of Education at the University of Cincinnati. I am the STEM Education Academic Advisor to Clever Crazes for Kids (CCK) and I want to introduce you to the website and how you can integrate it into your K-8 classroom. First, let me tell you a bit about my background. I am a former science teacher and have served in many national leadership roles including President of the National Middle Level Science Teachers Association, Council Member for the National Science Teachers Association, and most recently Board Member of the School Science and Mathematics Association. I am also the Editor of the School Science and Mathematics Journal.
My role with CCK is to facilitate the use of the clevercrazes.com resources within K-8 grades in classrooms and After-School Programs. The CCK website has been developed by a team of educators led by Dr. Kathy Hoover from the School of Education at the University of Cincinnati. In addition to the fantastic website where kids will enjoy playing many interactive educational games, the CCK team has also developed a series of STEM problem-based learning lessons called CCK STEM Expeditions. The CCK STEM Expeditions are grade band specific and ready to implement.
Clevercrazes.com brings to K-8 classrooms, across the country, new and exciting ways to engage kids in learning about the STEM disciplines, specifically how Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are integrated into their every-day lives. All of this is part of the interconnected web of wellness—healthy planet, healthy relationships, and healthy individuals. Strong minds are built on healthy and energetic bodies.
- $500 AWARDED TO A TOP SCORING SCHOOL WITH THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE OF REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS*
- $100 AWARDED TO ONE SCHOOL OR AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM WITH THE HIGHEST SCORE - PLAYING AS A CLASSROOM OR GROUP (playing as a team with one computer)*
- $500 AWARDED TO AN AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM OR KIDS' CLUB WITH THE HIGHEST AVERAGE SCORE*
- 36 $10 GIFT CARDS AWARDED TO TOP-SCORING KIDS
- 108 PAIRS OF COOL GYM SHOES AND 108 PEDOMETERS WITH FLASHLIGHTS
AWARDED TO WINNING KIDS IN THE “STEP IT UP AND KICKSTART YOUR BRAIN” CHALLENGE
*See Official Rules
Of course, we understand that a "Classroom" may look different in an After-School Program setting. It is likely that you will have a range of "grade levels." That is fine... in fact, it is a great way to have "kids-teaching-kids!" Students from one grade may have the answers to some quiz questions, while others may be able to "Mentor Up" to kids in higher grades. So, even if you have only one computer, we want everyone to be able to take advantage of this academic tool.
Click here to see our comprehensive curriculum maps.
To watch any or all of the videos for the following chapters, scroll to the top of the page and click on Watch Our Video
- Chapter 1. Meet Carla C. Johnson, Ed. D Professor, STEM Educator/ Consultant
- Chapter 2. Curriculum Alignments & National Common Core State Standards, National Associations and Professional Organizations
- Chapter 3. Graduate Degree College Credits & Professional Development
- Chapter 4. Clever Crazes for Kids and STEM
- Chapter 5. Curriculum Integration, 9 Academic Worlds Grades K-8
- Chapter 6. “Step It Up and Kickstart Your Brain”
- Chapter 7. Curriculum Use for Individual, Small Groups, Entire Classrooms
- Chapter 8. Clever Crazes Demo Video
- Chapter 9. Using CCK Website with Limited Computer Access or No Computer Access in the Classroom
- Chapter 10. School Prizes, Home School Program Prizes, After-School Program and Kids’ Club Prizes, and Classroom Prizes
- Chapter 11. Registration, Your Scoreboard Report and Technical Support
Don't Miss This Valuable New Asset:
Graduate Degree College Credits & Professional Development
Clever Crazes for Kids wants to engage teachers in discourse about how CCK works in your classroom and as a forum for sharing new ideas and strategies for using Clever Crazes. Participation in our virtual learning community has benefits for teachers such as opportunities for graduate credit from the University of Cincinnati or documented certification of contact hours related to professional growth that you can submit to your local professional development council for potential credit.
In order to receive graduate credits from the University of Cincinnati or Professional Development credits from your district, view all of the Chapters in this video, and implement one or more of the CCK STEM Expeditions. Submit a one (1) to two (2) page narrative about student experiences. Describe how students benefitted from these experiences.
After you have completed the CCK STEM Expeditions, (or any part of this site) please e-mail your insights, suggestions and other ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.